The main objective of the Department of Folk Culture is to support the regional partnership networks in the area of folk culture.
The Department of Folk Culture:
• Advises individuals, institutions and citizens associations involved in folk culture;
• Implements governmental programmes in the field of folk culture;
• Maintains the database of regional folk culture;
• Gathers, maintains and distributes information on folk culture;
• Nominates individuals and associations active in the area of folk culture for national recognition;
• Helps to assure the process continuity of the National Song and Dance Festival;
• Cooperates with nationwide central associations, Estonian Song and Dance Celebration Foundation, unions of municipalities, county governments, local councils and organizations specializing in folk culture activities.